RYA Coastal Skipper - Shorebased Course Certificate
What is special about this course?
An advanced course in navigation and meteorology for candidates for the Coastal Skipper Certificate. The syllabus makes some provision for revision of subjects in the elementary course but those who have not acquired the knowledge set out in the elementary course are unlikely to be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in the advanced course in the time available.
- No formal entry requirements
- dead reckoning and estimated position,the poition line
- the magnitic compass, position fixing
- tides, tidal streams, buoyage, lights, pilotage, echo sounder
- radio aids to navigation, logs (speeds and distance measuring)
- deck log, meteorology, anchoring, rule of the road, safety at sea,
- signals,navigation in restricted visibility, passage planning and making.
How will I study my course?
- Short course
How long will my course last?
Short course 40 hours. By arrangement .
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Outer Hebrides
- UHI Outer Hebrides (Barra Campus)
- UHI Outer Hebrides (Benbecula Campus)
- UHI Outer Hebrides (Stornoway Campus)
Please note, UHI Outer Hebrides will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study.
For more information on start dates please contact Admissions at UHI Outer Hebrides - firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for RYA Coastal Skipper - Shorebased Course Certificate
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Outer Hebrides. Please note, UHI Outer Hebrides will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study. UHI Outer Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.