Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) Certificate
What is special about this course?
The UK shipping industry relies on recruiting motivated young people to operate a range of ships that trade on a world wide basis. The purpose of this new marine training programme is to prepare young people for a career at sea, at rating level, by providing them with the necessary basic skills and qualifications required by ship operators in the UK.
Candidates must -
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Have successfully completed the basic training required by STCW Code A-VI/1
- Hold a Navigational Watch Rating Certificate or a steering certificate; or proof of having obtained sufficient experience
- Meet the medical fitness requirements and have completed 12 months sea service in the deck department,
- or hold a deck officer certificate of competency (Fishing)Sea-service performed in a deck capacity on sea-going fishing vessels of more than 16.5 m in registered length will be counted in full but at least 6 months sea-service on merchant ships will be required for certification as an AB seaman
- Candidates with other types of sea service or training may be considered by the Maritime Coastguard Agency for entry to the examination on an individual basis.
Course Syllabus and examination -
- Meaning of common nautical terms
- Navigational watch keeping duties
- Lifesaving appliances and fire fighting appliances.
Practical work as follows -
- Knots, bends and hitches
- Common splices
- Parcel and serve a splice
- Whipping and seizings
- Care, use and storage of ropes and wires
- Stoppers for ropes and wires
- Slinging of stages and bosun’s chair
- Rigging of pilot ladders, gangways and accommodation ladders
- Hydrostatic Release Unit - HRU
- Rigging a derrick
- Securing the deck for severe weather
- Hatches and watertight doors
- Anchor cables
- Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seamen (COSWP) 1998.
How will I study my course?
- Short course
How long will my course last?
Short course - 5 days
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Outer Hebrides
- UHI Outer Hebrides (Stornoway Campus)
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful candidates are required to complete a further 12 months sea time before gaining Able Seaman status.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) Certificate
Please contact our Admin team for further information on:
01851 770 000
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Outer Hebrides. UHI Outer Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.