UHI Outer Hebrides is a centre for learning and research with local, regional, national and international reach. The College was established in 1953 within Lews Castle, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and was originally titled Lews Castle College to reflect this. It began as a provider of technical training in seamanship but since then has diversified to provide a varied curriculum at its main campus and a number of learning centres throughout the Outer Hebrides.
In 2011 it became part of The University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) which saw a huge opportunity to extend the reach of the college and the courses and teaching it was able to offer.
The College is of great importance to the local community across the Outer Hebrides offering local access to informal and formal education and training, contributing to making the islands attractive as a play to stay, live and work – both for those wishing to stay on the islands and those wishing to come to the islands. The College plays a role in working in partnership with stakeholders to support our local economy and communities.
In April 2022 Lews Castle College UHI was renamed UHI Outer Hebrides in a move to help better represent the geographic reach of a college which has campuses in Stornoway, Barra, North Uist, Benbecula and, from August 2022, South Uist.
Our reputation is built on our innovative approach to learning and our distinctive research and curriculum. We are experts in online and blended learning and have been leaders in these areas for decades. Our aim is to provide flexible and accessible learning for all at local, national and international level as well as high quality research and knowledge exchange.